Margaretting- St Margaret of Antioch
Margaretting Church was originally Norman incorporating Roman tiles, but the church was almost completely rebuilt in the early-mid 15th century when the timber-framed, weatherboarded and shingled tower with spire was added. The roofs to the nave, chancel and aisle are tiled. The chancel was altered in the 16th century and substantial restoration work took place in 1869-70, at which time the east wall was rebuilt and the spire renewed. Further large scale work was completed in 1930 -31 when the pipe organ (dated 1881) was moved from the south aisle and sited above the entrance to the vestry, and the four pre-reformation bells tuned and re-hung. (A new bell was cast at the ‘Whitechapel Bell Foundry’ in London to join the others, in 1996). The roof was also replaced and the tower and spire re-shingled at this time. According to the vicar of the time, the architect retained as much of the old church as was possible. The church is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch in Pisidia.