Mundon - St Mary's
St Mary's was under restoration when this picture was taken. The church is built within the moat of Mundon Hall. The oldest feature remaining in the stone nave is the 14th century north-west window, although the font, which has been removed, has been dated to c.1200.The timber belfry is Tudor, erected in the early 16th century. The north porch which has carved wooden spandrels, was erected at around the same time. After that the church was not well looked after and had fallen into disrepair by 1684. It was rebuilt in the early 18th century using brick on the original foundations. It is believed that much of the interior - the box pews and the painted texts - date from this restoration, although faint traces of medieval murals showing a king and a devil have been discovered recently. The church is now in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. Their extensive restoration has now been completed and the church is once again open.