Pebmarsh - St John the Baptist
The 14th century tower is the earliest part of the current building. Inside the church, the roofline of an earlier nave - where it joined the tower - can be seen, showing that it was lower and narrower than the current one. The current larger nave was rebuilt in the 14th century, along with the chancel and additional north and south aisles. Around 1500, battlements in red Tudor brick were built on the top of the tower, with matching brickwork on the clerestory and aisle perimeters. At the same time the elaborate south porch was added, reinforcing the imposing image of a church in a commanding position above the village.