Ingrave - St Nicholas
Not many churches were built in the 18th century. St Nicholas's was built in 1734, commissioned by the 8th Lord Petre of Thorndon Hall as replacements for the medieval churches in West Horndon and Ingrave. It lies in an octagonal plot - a design echoed in the original landscaping designs of Thorndon Hall, with it's 'west' tower actually facing south-southwest. Octagonal turrets either side of the brick tower rise above the arched parapet. The imposing tower has been likened to a municipal water tower.