Langley - St John the Evangelist
The church is built on one of the highest points in Essex, near to the Essex/Herts border. Its origins are Norman although the tower was added during the fourteenth century and the chancel re-built in 1560. The church was restored in 1885 and this included extensive restoration of the fifteenth century double hammerbeam roof. The south doorway, and one small window in the north wall, are original features remainig from Norman times.