Layer Marney - St Mary - Marney Monument
The monument to Henry, 1st Lord Marney (1523). The effigy is carved from Catacleuse, a Cornish black stone, and the canopy from terracotta. The carving of the canopy is very elaborate and possibly executed by Italian craftsmen. Henry was a Sherriff of Essex, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancster, and a Privy Councillor to Henry VIII. He became a Captain of the King's Bodyguard. He was made a Baron in 1523 and died later that year passing the title on to his son, John.