Little Dunmow - St Mary the Virgin
"Dum sumus in mundo, vivamus corde jocundo" - 'While we are in this world, we should live with a happy heart' - so runs the graffiti inside the church inscribed by a monk 600 years ago. This church was formerly the Lady Chapel (or south chancel chapel) of a large Augustinian Priory founded in 1106 by Lady Juga Baynard, a relation of one of William the Conqueror's feudal barons. The windows in the south wall, seen above, are alternating 3 and 4 light, each with individual tracery, carefully restored in 1988, based on the original remodelled windows of 1360. The impressive monastic buildings stood to the southwest of the church but, along with much of the Priory, were razed to the ground after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The thin north west turret was added in 1871, a feature which Pevsner described as "silly".