Little Hallingbury - St Mary
The nave and part of the chancel are Norman, although the chancel was lengthened in the 13th century. The porch is 14th century and shelters a Norman doorway built of Roman bricks. The 15th century single hammerbeam chancel roof is noteworthy. The half timbered bell tower and shingled spire were added during the 17th century. One of the church bells dates from c.1330 (which must make it one of the oldest church bells in the county), the others from c.1400 and 1683. In 1901 the church was struck by lightening, damaging the bell turret and the nave roof.