Little Leighs - St John - Oak Priest
Recessed into the north wall of the chancel, there lies a wooden life-sized effigy of a priest (c.1300) whose body lies in the tomb beneath. He wears vestments and his head is supported by two defaced angels; he has a lion and a lamb at his feet. This is the only such effigy of a priest in the country. It was made of oak (not stone, so as to be movable to make a space for the Easter Sepulchre) and would have been brightly coloured originally.The decorations on the ogee arch above are beautifully carved with a combination of Christian and pagan imagery.